Established in 2006, the Canadian Online Giving Foundation is a private foundation registered with the Canada Revenue Agency (BN: 862216165RR0001). Our mission is to realize significant fundraising across a broad demographic of donor users and effect the distribution of contributions to eligible charities as a donor advised fund. We leverage cost-effective tools that allow us to operate with minimal administrative overhead thereby maximizing the disbursements to eligible charities. We hope that by outsourcing to our Foundation a component of their online fundraising, administration and tax receipting, eligible charities can reduce non-programmatic investments and increase the efficacy of their social mandates and mission.
As a registered foundation we enjoy tax-exempt status and are able to provide donors tax receipts for their contributions.
We are also able to make gifts (disbursements) to "qualified donees" which include:
- registered Canadian charities
- registered Canadian amateur athletic associations
- registered Canadian national arts service organizations
- housing corporations resident in Canada
- municipalities in Canada
- municipal or public bodies performing a function of government in Canada
- the United Nations or agencies thereof
- universities outside Canada prescribed to be universities the student body of which ordinarily includes students of Canada
- charitable organizations outside Canada to which Her Majesty in right of Canada has made a gift during the taxpayer's taxation year, or the 12 months immediately preceding that taxation year
- Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province and agents thereof
Donor Advised Fund
A donor advised fund (DAF) is a charitable vehicle that separates the tax event from the disbursement event. What this means to donors is that they can direct their contributions to multiple charities but receive a single tax receipt. A DAF also provides donors the ability to receive a tax receipt for contributions made today but delay their decision about where they would like to direct their contributions. The tax advantages, cost savings and administrative convenience of DAFs are just a few of the reasons why DAFs are increasing in popularity as an alternative to direct giving.